It is important to protect your Linksys wireless router with a password as it will help you from any harmful activity. Nowadays, as you cannot allow any stranger to know your email address or password, it is also must that you should protect your router with a password. So, here the question is that how do I secure my Linksys wireless router with a password?
The following blog depicts the whole process about protecting your Linksys router with a password. The reasons why you need to secure your router by a password are given below-
- In case your router is not password protected, then anyone who passes by can connect to your wireless router that you are paying the money for.
- If anyone connects to the internet using your router, then it will also have the same IP address as yours. It means that if they do anything illegal then the responsible one will be you for that illegal activity.
To protect your Linksys wireless router with a password you need to follow some steps which are given below:
- Connect your Linksys router with an Ethernet cable. Now connect your computer to the LAN ports of your router and power on the computer.
- Open up any web interface, and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the URL bar.
- You will be redirected to the username and password page. In the password field fill password as ‘admin’ and leave the username blank and press ‘enter’.
- Now under the management option, click on ‘wireless’ button on the top left of the screen.
- You will see a manual button for Wi-Fi protected setup. (If you are using the old version then you do not need to follow this step.
- Here, you can change your ‘Network name’ or the ‘SSID’. When done changing the username click on ‘save’ to apply your changes. You will be disconnected once you change the network name. You need to connect with the new username.
- Then, under the ‘wireless security’ option you can change the password for your wireless router.
- Here you need to select the security mode (WPA/WPA2). In case you are using the latest version choose WPA security mode.
- Your password must be of 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. When done click on ‘save settings’ button to save your changes.
Hence, by following the above steps you can easily change your wireless name and password so that no one can cause you harm by hacking your Linksys wireless router’s password.
The router administrative panel contains much valuable information which is necessary to protect. Mainly the router panel contains information of its LAN, i.e.
- How many devices are connected to your router?
- What is the IP address of your router?
- What are the requests the device is usually generating?
- Wireless routers are also responsible for Network Address Translation protocol which changes the internal IP (LAN) to external IP (WAN).
Thus from the above blog you can easily secure your Linksys wireless router with password. In case anyone connects to your wireless network, he will need to put the password. If you face any trouble you can contact us on our toll-free number.